Friday, December 12, 2008

underpants and anniversaries

Last night was great!! It was my most successful market so far (don't know if everybody was just in frantic Christmas shopping mode or not!), and I almost sold out of pouches and stickers, also had lots of badge sales. So if you bought something from me last night, bless you and thanks so much :)

It was also a very special night; Craig and I realised earlier this week that it's our 9th wedding anniversary yesterday. He joined me at my stall, and we had a very crafty celebration of sorts; it was so nice to have him see my other world. He never gets a chance to come to Kraftbomb with me, because somebody has to look after the kids! Thanks Craig for being such a great guy; 9 years have really flown by :)

I also realised that this time last year I had just started making softies and peg-doll Christmas decorations, and started looking at selling at markets. A year on, I feel so lucky to have the chance to be a non-stop creative (can't call it a full-time job now, can we?), and am wondering where to go with Ruby in the Dust. Retail shops have such high mark-ups that handmade products end up being too expensive, and Etsy isn't doing much for me. Pricing things in US$ just doesn't seem fair to the NZ buyer, so I'm thinking about our equivalent, Felt. I think I'll continue with the markets and maybe a couple of online shops; I really enjoy the sense of community at a craft market.

Speaking of community, my neighbours last night were really cool. Ran with Scissors (love that name!) on one side and Sarah from the Sustainable Business Network (?) selling very popular undies made from fabric remnants on the other. OK, gotta go, hopefully I'll be at Kraftbomb next Sunday, so there's a lot of things to get sewn before then...

6 comments:

lily, rosemary and the jack of hearts said...

yes please! I'd be definately keen! :) any specific colour for the wee owl?

lily, rosemary and the jack of hearts said...

p.s Ive already used the purse so much!

Norma in NZ said...

Congrats on doing so well at Craftwerks. Happy crafting!

ruby in the dust said...

cheers guys! I'll just see what you've got left Olivia, they're all so cute :) saw your stuff at edward & son yesterday, hope you did well.

kimberlee said...

so great that you had a successful night! it is a good community and an excuse to be creative. Glad your hubby was there, 9 years is something to celebrate!

ruby in the dust said...

thanks Kimberlee :)