Monday, May 25, 2009

Oksana the Great

After my complaints yesterday, I decided to spend today on a doll. It's quite indulgent; normally I try to make things for the markets on my days when the boys are in daycare, but today was different: I needed to make something for myself. A doll without limbs, I decided. The sewing and stuffing of tiny little arms and legs just wasn't for me today. Last night I wrote down 'matryoshka' on my to-do list, and that's all that happened in my workroom this morning. Three quick prototypes later, I was ready for the real thing: Oksana dressed in her very colourful dress with embroidered apron, hand-painted face and weighted base.


I'm very happy with her, and would like to make a couple more to perfect the pattern, and then, who knows, I might just decide to sell my first pattern! It's something I've been thinking about a lot; so many people find my blog by looking for doll patterns or instructions, and this would be a great beginner's project. Watch this space...

8 comments:

Anna said...

LOVE IT! I have been wanting to make a Russian doll too (inspired by doll print pajamas no less)... one day!

ruby in the dust said...

thanks Anna! see you sunday :)

sam said...

heavy enough base and she'd make a great door stopper :) I love babushka dolls (as I used to call them when I was a kid) I'll be one of the first for the pattern!

Bam Bam Creative said...

oooh, I like it! They would make really nice door stops if they were big enough =) See you sunday at Kraftbomb! xx

Bam Bam Creative said...

brilliant minds think alike at the exact same moment, haha

ruby in the dust said...

hey, what a great idea, you two! She's probably big enough, about 25cm tall, and with the right fill, would work very well as a door stop.

Kimberlee and Lies said...

Hi Helen, Oksana looks great (love the name too, so RRRRussian!). Hope you're well, might see you on sunday - I won't have a stall but have been achin' to drop by...
X lies

QuirkyDolls said...

I wish I could paint eyes like you do. I can draw them but painting takes more patience than i can muster.
Her eyes are beautiful!