Saturday, June 27, 2009

Cold

We're back from a great little holiday in the Central North Island. We spent six days touring south from Otorahonga to Mount Ruapehu and back up again to Rotorua, then Tauranga. It was beautiful and cold, and sometimes beautiful because of the cold.

Some highlights:
  1. The glowworms at Waitomo. It's easy to become blase about it as a tourist destination, but it's famous for a reason.
  2. Thermal activity at Orakei Korako. It's between Taupo and Rotorua, but it's far enough from the main road to be off the tourist trail. You get a boat ride across the lake and explore the little valley at your own pace. Spectacular.
  3. Just being able to hang out with my family. My sisters and I don't see each other often, so this is a very special time for us.

OK, now I have to prepare for Kraftbomb tomorrow. I'll do a post about my frankie giveaway when I've got a copy of the magazine; needless to say, frankie doesn't seem to be big in Otorahonga.

4 comments:

Look Left Karen said...

Love your frosty leaves picture and I agree about Waitomo caves. I went in 2006 and hadn't been there since I was a child, they really are spectacular aren't they!

Zade Sanjay Ringer + Jasmine Hunter said...

Totally in love with Waitomo Caves village. We spent part of our honeymoon there in March. It has THE best holiday park and heaps of economical things to discover. The glowworm tours are magical. We're planning to go back when it ges warm again.

kimberlee said...

oh fun stuff. the winter seems better with snow and frost. at least that is what I think :)

ruby in the dust said...

Yes, what a beautiful place we live in :) Go Waitomo!