Monday, June 8, 2009

I dream of prints

I've been thinking a lot about print-making lately. Screen printing, specifically, but also lino cuts, gocco and stencils. It's mostly fuelled by this great book I found in the library: Printing by Hand by Lena Corwin. And so I've been sketching my vintage button collection, which might one day end up on a tea towel or something like that. In the mean time, here's some inspiration from my favourite fabric designers/print makers:

Beautiful prints from Ink and Spindle, based in Melbourne. I love their colours and designs mostly inspired by nature.

Three Sisters Ink are three sisters (surprise!) who make very graphic, strong patterns inspired by mid-century design. Check out their fun kids' designs.

Finally, Jesse Breytenbach, a fellow-South African who does great block prints and illustrations. Shown here is one of my favourite designs by her, a protea. I also love this print:
I probably won't be getting much time for my current interest in the next month; I'll be too busy hanging out with my lovely sisters, who are arriving this Friday (yay!)...

6 comments:

Bam Bam Creative said...

mmmmmmmm fabrics! Those block prints are so, so pretty!

kimberlee said...

those are beautiful, you dream well.

my favourite is the green stems and flowers

ruby in the dust said...

yes, these people are very talented. Kimberlee, are you still in the country or bist dich ein Berliner?

Ahipara Girl said...

Hi, I jumped here from Melissa's blog Tiny Happy. I love to meet fellow kiwi crafters. I have a few South African kiwi ones, too, as I think you alluded too somewhere. Anyhow, I think you should go with that vintage button print, it's cool. I love naive patterns and the hand drawn nature of these screams 'personal' which is what we all want isn't it. Our own 'thing'. Happy crafting and time with your sisters.

Bee said...

Heh, funny that we posted about the same book. Yes, totally inspired! Looking for the rubber blocks though. Any idea of where they might sell them here?

Jesse said...

Buttons are a great idea for a print! (And yes, that book is utterly inspiring...)