Thursday, June 11, 2009

Some new things

After being so inspired by print-making the other day, I was very excited when I found this beautiful owl bag at the Warehouse. It's big and strong, perfect for carrying a lot of kids' winter gear around in. Made in China of course, but just look at it...


This buckle was just begging me for a belt, so I made a reversible one from this very helpful tutorial. Unfortunately I need a practical belt more than a decorative one; my jeans are one size too big. Will have to wear it on fat days.

And finally, I've taken the plunge and bought myself a couple of pattern books in a language I don't understand, without even knowing what's inside. Clever, hey. But so many people sing the praises of Japanese pattern books, and I really like the whole layered look they seem to have going, so I thought I'll give it a go. I bought them from YesAsia, they offer free postage if you spend a certain amount; you can also buy them from this Etsy seller. The pattern book is called Sewing Talk, two dresses really caught my eye. I found a very informative blog with help if you want to sew from Japanese books.


The second book is called Pochee, it's more of a craft book with some clothes patterns. Not sure of the leg warmers though! There's lots of great bag patterns in there.


I'll probably be a bit quiet on the blogging front for the next few weeks while I show my sisters around Auckland and the central North Island. Hope you have a great month :)

5 comments:

kimberlee said...

oh you are going to have fun with those pattern books! and if you figure your way through the language barrier, maybe you can make some clothes that fit your size :)

Sock Monkey Headquarters said...

Hello sweetie...what a good score! Good ol warehouse eh! I'll be keeping my eyes peeled for more pattern books here...and will definately let you know more about the printing on fabric mission we spoke about. My sister's been here too so we've been busy doing family stuff and I haven't had a chance to pick my mum's crafty brain...tee hee hee...

Hugs hugs hugs...

ruby in the dust said...

hi there international agents :) Yes Kimberlee, the sizing will be interesting! hopefully I can make something wearable...

Jesse said...

Those look like they have lovely patterns! I'm looking forward to seeing what you make from them.

MLF said...

Hello new bloggy friend,
Which Warehouse did you find your owl bag from? It's super duper. I live in AK too.......
Hey, I adore that book! xxx