Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Just for me


I made myself a new bag yesterday; not that I need any more bags lying and hanging around the house! I've always wanted to make a cane-handled bag but never knew how, until this book showed me. It was so easy and should have taken me about half an hour to cut and sew (but didn't, because I didn't read the instructions properly!!).

I wanted to give a quick explanation of how to make your own bag, but it's a bit too complicated to explain without visual cues, so it will have to be a tutorial for another day. Let me know if you're interested :) Here's the inside of the bag; it's the colour I like to refer to as The Right Red. The exact shade of red I love wearing and working with.

The outside fabric is amazing, don't you think? I discovered it in a very unlikely place, my local emporium. It's vintage Fothergay fabric; it was an unused piece that was just the right size to cut two large panels from, and I still have heaps left for smaller pouches and things. Here's a better photo of the bag in good daylight.
I think it's quite obvious that I'm completely smitten with my latest project...

6 comments:

The Devonport Craft Market / TOTO said...

Gorgeous! I was admiring it and your new dress the other night. Well done. Just beautiful!

Ruby in the Dust said...

thanks sarah! we have to think of ourselves sometimes too, hey :)

R.W. Scissors said...

Such a nice bag! The fabric suits the shape and handles perfectly.

Ruby in the Dust said...

thanks Bronwyn :)

melissa said...

this is beee-autiful. you're right, that fabric is amazing!
p.s. i also love the dress in the previous post...

Jesse said...

Lovely fabric, wow! These are my favourite kind of bags too - so simple and practical.