Friday, September 18, 2009

Things to do on a nice spring day (v 2.0)

When the wisteria is out, it's officially spring. My favourite season, for all it represents: fresh colour, warmer days, skirts and bare feet, flowers and fruit. When I was growing up in South Africa, we used to go to school on Spring Day with flowers for our teachers and friends. What a worthwile day to celebrate.

A year ago I published a post with the same name as today's, and I was honestly very surprised to see how many hits it got when spring came round in the northern hemisphere. People googled the phrase 'things to do on a nice spring day'! Many people, dozens and dozens. If this is you, one day in the future, here's my advice for the Essential Early Spring Picnic:

Put on your happiest summer dress, take off your shoes and pack a picnic (in a proper basket). Remember your picnic rug. If you're lucky enough to have a garden, set yourself up on the lawn, otherwise you'll have to find a park nearby. This picnic is best enjoyed with friends and family, and children make it even better. Have fun!
To get back to the wisteria, I was so inspired by its fleeting beauty that I just had to capture it on fabric. I did a freehand drawing with my disappearing ink pen and embroidered over it. Now I'll have those flowers all year. Happy spring!

6 comments:

Zade Sanjay Ringer + Jasmine Hunter said...

Oh yes I love your wisteria covered porch. Your enbroidery is very simply lovely.

Ruby in the Dust said...

thanks jaz :) it's a pity we can't have the tea party this time of the year!

Danelle said...

Hey! Wat 'n NICE blog entry! Sad to say, lentedag was koud hier en ekt nie tyd gemaak vir blomme daai dag nie. Maar môre spandeer ek HEELDAG in die groentetuin...kan nie wag nie! Dis lekker weer en dit lyk lekker woes daar, so die uitdaging is soveel groter!
xxx

Ruby in the Dust said...

hoop jy't lekker onkruid uitgetrek! xx

Kimberlee and Lies said...

Oh my goodness, what stunning wisteria on that porch!!! Zooooo mooi!!! And the embroidery to match. So pretty...
x Lies

Anna said...

lovetheprettiness!