Monday, November 16, 2009

Collections: Buckles

If you've been here for a while, you might know that I'm quite partial to a bit of op shopping. Which is where I find most of my craft supplies and collect all sorts of odds and ends along the way. I thought I might do a few posts about my collections, just for fun.
Today's collection is buckles. I wish I knew more about these, all I can say for sure is that the tiny blue one is made of glass, the huge black one is painted wood and the others from some type of plastic, possibly cellulose acetate (like the top left green buckle and that blue one on the right; they have a flecked, iridescent effect). I'd say they're from the 40's, I can just imagine the women dressing up their simple war-time outfits with these snazzy accessories.

7 comments:

Cat Taylor Design said...

Love your collection - what a neat photo. That would make a great paper cutting for screen printing... See you on Saturday!

The Devonport Craft Market / Cotton Kiwi said...

Very cute! I have a whole pile of vintage metal buckles that I've been planning to do something with. Yours would look fantastic framed. Love the colours!

Songbird Designs said...

Love these a lot!
I meant to buy x2 mirrors with felt pouches on Sat but with the business of it all I clean forgot.. which markets are you at next that I could purchase from?

Anna said...

wow! it's amazing what you can find :)

Ruby in the Dust said...

thanks guys! I was so lucky to find about 20 of these at one place; I think they're quite popular collectables. Sarah, I'm at Crafternoon Tea this Sat and K'bomb next Sunday.

Jacqui said...

What a great image, and such beautiful buckles. There was a woman on Antiques Roadshow the other night who had a belt handed down from her great-great grandmother from the turn of last century. All the women in her family had had their names inscribed on it as it was handed down. Of course it was the tiniest belt for a corseted waist, but it made me wish that we still got to wear delicate little belts on a regular basis. So do your buckles!

Ruby in the Dust said...

I saw that belt Jacqui; it was tiny! Love that show by the way :) i'm such a lazy dresser, normally just slip on the uniform of jeans and t-shirt, but these buckles would jazz up even that boring outfit...