Friday, March 26, 2010

Bedtime stories part 2

I am so excited to introduce a limited edition range of rebound journals today; the Uncle Arthur Bedtime Stories books. I've collected 9 of them over the past year, and thought it was about time to do something with them. In a nutshell, they are Christian story books written by Uncle Arthur over something like 35 years, and come with the most hilarious photos and particularly captions. I've written a previous post about them, have a look here. For the journals, I've only used the best photo pages, there are about 12 of them through each book of otherwise blank pages.




The message is pretty heavy-handed, and comes from all sorts of angles. I don't really know how this one could be possible, but this dog has managed to make his mauling of a doll somebody else's fault:

(Rex felt very relieved to know it wasn't really his fault that he tore Tammy's rag doll to bits.)

Serendipity is a common theme:

('A little beggar boy found your watch', said the station master.)


(Just then a car came by, an unusual thing at that time of day.)

As is temptation:
(The thought of cuddling a nice furry cat was too good.)

And many lessons; so many lessons:

(When Barbara lost her warm white scarf she learned a lesson she will remember as long as she lives.)

(Water-skiing is great fun; but Joy had to miss the boat ride and all the thrills. However, she did learn her lesson.)

Wonderful. They'll be available at Kraftbomb this coming Sunday; my first official appearance for the year. I've also listed a couple on Felt, including one with my favourite caption 'Dickie's pocket was bulging with lollipops'.



7 comments:

nzfloss said...

They're fabulous... let me know if you have any left over. I had a friend at primary school whose claim to fame was that her photo was in one of uncle Arthur's books. The photo was taken when she lived overseas, quite random really as whoever took the photo happened to just walk past her house as she was playing with her sisters. She always thought it was a scream it ended up in a 'moral' story ;-)

Cotton Kiwi said...

They are fantastic!

imba said...

I just bought one off Felt. Can't wait for it to arrive. It's for a gift, and I don't know *how* I'm going to give it away! These are soo freakin cool!

nzgreenbuttons said...

my nana has a big collection of these and they were a favourite of mine as a child (for the photos). I hadn't read or seen any since I was little and had a chuckle when I found some a the salvation army recently - I didn't remember them being so "moral"

Love the journals!

Ruby in the Dust said...

Thanks for buying one, Catherine! I've just put 4 more on Felt Pauline, but if you can remember what your friend's photo looked like, let me know; I still have quite a few unused pages left. she might just be on one of those!

imba said...

I took the liberty of posting a link to these on my facebook page. Love them! http://www.facebook.com/pages/Wellington/imba/360553065763#!/pages/Wellington/imba/360553065763?ref=mf

lily, rosemary and the jack of hearts said...

So brilliant!