Tuesday, March 30, 2010

My condition

Now I haven't told anyone yet, so I thought I'll just let you guys know that I have a Condition. It's not contagious and hopefully it won't kill me, so don't worry. It's called synaesthesia, and to be more exact, grapheme synaesthesia. I love it, and I love that I now have a name for it too.

I have always, for as long as I can remember, associated numbers with colours. Two is yellow, three normally green, four blue, five always red, eight feels like brown, one is sometimes white. It's hard to describe how it works, but my brain pretty much interchanges the colour and number; for example when I was writing the previous sentence, I could just as easily have written 'yellow is two' or 'red is five'. It also works with some letters, like 's'. Red=five=s.

Now you're thinking I'm crazy, but it seems to be quite common. It's when your senses are intertwined, and some people see sound, feel words, smell colour, etc. It hasn't affected my life greatly, but I suppose what amazes me about it is that my brain has found a way to use my love of colour in an unexpected way. And now Craig has discovered a new word to tease me with :)

5 comments:

R.W. Scissors said...

Funny! Four and five were always blue and red for me, too :)

Songbird Designs said...

Well I think as far as neurological conditions go- this one is cool. Very special indeed!!

Jacqui said...

I remember hearing about synasthesia on the radio a few years ago and just thinking "coooooolll" because as a 100% NON-synasthete I had no idea that such a thing existed. There was something else just recently about it on Nine-to-Noon or Afternoons, a guy who studies it I think. And there were so many different forms too, colours and tastes and touch and music, all bound up together. He had some fascinating stories to tell. Do you think it influences your crafting at all?

Rose said...

I like little discoveries like that, they make you go ahh! Last year I found this personality trait that seemed like it explained so much about me http://www.hsperson.com/pages/test.htm I think it might also be more common among creative people.

I have associated numbers with colours too, but now I think about it I can't remember them all, but I know 8 is red, 4 is pink, and 5 might be brown. I also visualise calendars and dates a bit, like was mentioned in the artocle.

Widge said...

Oh wow! I never knew this was an actual condition...my best friends and I were having a conversation similar to this the other day how we see people's names in colours and it was so freaky how we all saw the same colours for the names .g christina = red, meg = yellow, bridget = aquamarine (hows that for specific). My husband would have totally laughed our conversation off as wasting words ;)