Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Preparations

We're getting ready for a very busy month in our house: three birthdays, a couple of parties and a first school day all within the space of 3 weeks. It's the school day that's got me worried more than anything, so to keep my mind occupied I decided to make Daniel's book and chair bags myself. I didn't want any of those awful fluro bags, so I got some oilcloth at Spotlight and took the bag measurements at the school office.

If you want to sew your own set, you will need:
about 1m of 150cm wide oilcloth (I used tablecloth fabric, available in Spotlight's kitchen section),
about 4m bias binding,
some velcro,
a leather needle (a denim needle would probably be ok; just remember you'll stitch through up to 3 layers of that cloth).

I made the chair bag a bit narrower than the ones they sell, because I noticed the ones in class were too wide and drooped quite a bit. My measurements were: a 40cm square for the main part, two 20x40cm rectangles, one 30x40cm rectangle. To make working with the bias binding easier, I folded it in half and ironed it before I started.

Cut out your pieces. Sew bias binding onto one 40cm edge of each of the rectangular pieces. Position pieces like in the photos, making sure the edges finished with bias binding are facing upwards (for the back) and down (for the front of the chair). Now pin it all together and sew bias binding right around the whole 40x40 square. The bags were just as easy. The library bag's finished measurements are 36x33 with a 10cm flap which I cut on a curve, the smaller book bag is 27x30cm with a 10cm flap. It closes with velcro and I even added some plastic name pouches. Remember to sew the velcro and name pouch before you sew the whole thing together with bias binding. Hope this makes sense; I don't want to teach you how to suck eggs, but let me know in case you would like more specific instructions.

9 comments:

R.W. Scissors said...

Aah! That is so neat. I'd like a set just the same, right down to the fabric. Tell Daniel if he gets tired of them, he can send them my way... :)
ps: do we have the same kitchen table?

Ruby in the Dust said...

1. hehe, I can just picture you in your pirate outfit reading maps from those bags!
2.does your table rock when you so much as put a cup on it? if so, yes.

R.W. Scissors said...

Yarr that sounds about right!
My table doesn't rock, but it does take up half the living room, so that's something...

Bam Bam Creative said...

awesome! I was just about to make one of these for Grace (she heads to school in a few months too!) at least now I don't have to muck around with the boring measuring, you have done an excellent job for me =)

Ruby in the Dust said...

great Jess, glad I can help :) Just take your tape measure to the school visit to check their chair sizes...

Polka Dot Daze said...

They are so sweet. Does everyone make their book bags too? At my sons school we just buy boring plain ones, I wonder what they would do if my son turned up with his own personalised one?
Anyhow very clever...you've got me thinking.

Ruby in the Dust said...

Thanks Polka Dot Daze! No, Daniel will probably be the only one at school with a home-made one :)

Nonavee Dale said...

Awesome.

Lara said...

Very cool! As a teacher it would be so much nicer if all students had unique bags :-) and as a parent, I think I need to make a chair bag for the back of their homework table to keep it all toghether!