Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Evolution

As promised, here are some photos of today's progress. First, a bit of background. When I make a doll, I start with a collection of fabrics, trims, buttons, jewellery that inspire me. For this one, I wanted to do a Russian peasant, with many patterns and colours, a headscarf and some embroidered fabric. Here she is, looking a bit like Sinead O'Connor in the 90s, with potential hair to the right. I made this little cloak out of an old lambswool cardigan with collar that I dyed on Monday.


Here are her undies, made with the fabric that I had left over from making brooches out of vintage embroidered handkerchiefs.

The hardest part is finding the perfect hairstyle. I dug around my wool basket, and found these redundant ear flaps from a knitted hat disaster. Perfect for curly hair! But as soon as it was stitched on, she looked very French and much too proper for what I was after. Here she is for now, but there's still a bit of work to be done. She's wearing a peasant dress, apron and silk scarf. Now all she needs is a peasant blouse, new hair and a name. Any ideas?

3 comments:

Cotton Kiwi said...

She's gorgeous Heleen. How about Maria?

Angela said...

She is so sweet and looks like a Brigette!

Mrs M said...

She is lovely - I think Margarita or Leisel...