Saturday, September 25, 2010

Tiny dolls


I found this pair at the op shop this morning, along with a lot of other small vintage 'tourist' dolls all dressed in the national constumes of European countries. These two caught my eye because they are so tiny and hand-made looking, but had labels. I've just done a search and they seem quite collectible. The Grecon dolls were made between the 1930s and 1950s, and I have no idea how old mine are. The lady looks a bit 50s with that beehive, doesn't she?
Another reason I liked them was that they reminded me of one of my favourite books as a child, The little girl and the tiny doll by Edward and Aingelda Ardizzone. The story is about a tiny doll who was left behind in a shop freezer and is found by a girl who makes her little clothes to keep her warm. I read it to my boys the other night at the dinner table and they were fascinated; it kept them very quiet and they ate everything on their plates!

3 comments:

Jacqui said...

What neat dolls! I love that book too. I was in the Children's Bookshop awhile ago looking for slightly longer books to read to Hazel and the assistant took it down and showed it to me and I was hit with such a massive jolt of recognition because I'd loved it as a kid too but hadn't thought of it for what, 35 years? I bought it for myself but Hazel loves it too, it's just so charming and the perfect vehicle for imagination. Now of course I wonder at any little girl being able to whip up such amazing clothes at such a tiny scale!

Jesse said...

Oh, they're so sweet!

nzgreenbuttons said...

I had totally forgotten about that book, isn't it great. What a lucky find.