Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Finished

Just a little update about all the unfinished projects I had going the other day: most are now completed. Plus some new make-up pouches, ready to go to Wellington next weekend for Craft 2.0. These photos show the fronts and backs of a few. Mmm, loving that blue and orange one in the front. My other big success was this dress. I have to say I was a bit doubtful when I looked at the pattern pieces in full daylight; somehow the idea of a fitted denim dress seemed fine in the middle of the night... As I said before, it's from the book Sewing Talk, which is full of really nice patterns written in Japanese. I'm obviously not that good at figuring those out though, because the dress had to be adapted quite a bit after I'd sewn it all together. I took the pockets out (too high, too bulky), changed the darts (too high), made the neckline lower on the front and back and took it in a bit around the waist. I assume it's just because I cut the pattern to the wrong size; it's still a bit snug but I really like it. The sleeves are lovely; they're simple raglan sleeves, each cut as one piece with a small dart on the shoulder. I think this dress will look great with a narrow belt and a small cardigan for cool spring days.


I learned how to sew an invisible zip into the dress, which is actually very easy once you figure out how to put the foot onto the machine. If you ever buy a Birch invisible zipper foot from Spotlight and then realise the instructions on the packet are unclear and insufficient, go here. Kim from All Things Mum has been so nice as to explain how to put the darn thing in without breaking your needles (as I did!).




4 comments:

Jacqui said...

Love the back on the orange bag, there's something about orange and blue together that I really like.

Which is also why I like the blue dress against your door too! It really is a lovely dress. It looks a bit different than I'd imagined after seeing the pattern picture, less retro and more modern somehow. Well done!

Polka Dot Daze said...

Lovely purses - and lovely dress!

Ruby in the Dust said...

thanks ladies! I found the perfect little red belt and off-white cardy today; my nod to the marine theme this summer :)

Melinda said...

Love the dress - what gorgeous denim.