Sunday, October 10, 2010

Mademoiselle, mois?

I got a little heads up this morning that I was in the latest Good magazine (Oct/Nov '10). I knew it was coming; I wrote a tutorial for them ages ago, but it was still a bit of a surprise. Especially the title. Maybe that's French for bag lady? Which you know I am anyway :)
The tutorial is for a simple drawstring bag which I made using bias binding. I think it's a very easy way to make these bags, and gives you a chance to add some colour. I made the bias binding on this photo from some of my vintage sheet collection.
I've been using these bags to replace the little plastic produce bags you get at the supermarket, and think they're great. The check-out operators might need a bit of convincing though; I don't think they like not being able to see inside the bags. I normally just leave them a little open so they can check first.
I've posted the tutorial on Scribd as usual, so you can read or download it there. You can enlarge the screen a little if the writing is too small. Oh, and I did those illustrations too, by the way. Pretty proud of that :) If you're having trouble viewing it; just let me know and I can email you the PDF.

4 comments:

Jacqui said...

What a cute idea! I wonder if you could use something more see-through to improve the checkout operator visibility - like plain curtain sheers. They wouldn't have the lovely texture of the muslin though...

Vivian said...

I gave you an award, check it out!

http://craft-with-confidence.blogspot.com/2010/10/some-past-due-thank-yous.html

Melody said...

Sweet William linked to your blog and talked about this tutorial - I love it! Thanks so much for posting this!

Ruby in the Dust said...

You're very welcome Melody, glad you like it :) Jacqui, the curtain sheers is a great idea; those guys at the supermarket don't like me very much!! I'd say a little strip of it near the base would be enough for visibility.