Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Acquisitions

As promised, here's the post where I show you all the loot I got in Wellington. When you have children, shopping is always done in a rush between morning tea and lunch, toilet stops and tantrums. That's the case for me anyway. You can imagine my delight when I could spend some time actually trying on clothes and buying breakable things without the fear of them breaking on the way to the car.

The first purchase was for our little niece Carly who has just turned four. I can imagine that a little doll in a matchbox would be absolute heaven to a little girl; especially if she's read this book. Maybe that will be Carly's Christmas present... It was so nice to catch up with Shelley from Sweet William, where I bought the book and doll, and meet her very talented sister Paula, the illustrator behind their magical creations.

I obsessed over this bird, which I saw on Friday night and had to buy first thing the next morning. It has the most perfect shape and matte glaze, and reminds me of a polished pebble. I bought it from Sarah Wigley, who is new to craft markets and doesn't have a blog yet. If you are interested in contacting her, just email me and I can pass on her details.

Because it was so cold over the weekend, Craig and I spent Sunday morning trawling the Cuba Street shops looking for scarves and jackets (no, make that singular, my husband bought shorts!). We wandered into a shop and walked out with this jacket. It's leather and made out of old leather coats which are sewn into more modern designs in Thailand. What a great idea; there must be so many unloved old leather coats left over from the 60s!


Finally, we even managed a little op shop visit before we left for the airport on Monday morning. I found this beautiful crochet pillowcase in the Sallies. Maybe I'll learn to crochet one day and then I can make it a partner...

6 comments:

Lesley Webb said...

Carly will LOVE it I'm sure xx

The jacket is awesome... and looks fabulous on. A key piece, as they say.

Ruby in the Dust said...

thanks Lesley :) yes, the jacket is a winner. i felt like a rock star all weekend!!

Rachael Brown Photography said...

That jacket is amazing! What was the name of the shop - and the bird is beatuiful

Ruby in the Dust said...

The shop is called Spacesuit, it's right next to Frutti on Cuba St/Mall. They've got lots of (mostly cheap-looking) clothes, but if you rummage around there's some gems :)

Sarah Wigley said...

Your photo of the bird is great. Thats so funny becos I was admiring that same pillowcase in Sallies on Friday on a mission to find the makings of Halloween dress-ups for the kids. Its lovely.

Ruby in the Dust said...

The bird is great, Sarah! Thanks for leaving that pillowcase for me :)