Thursday, November 25, 2010

Patchwork

I've always loved the idea of making a big patchwork quilt, but I can't see myself actually finding the time or being motivated enough to keep going. For this reason, I like small projects that give me the satisfaction of putting different fabrics and colours together, and completing it there and then. This week, I've been doing just that.
These patchwork cards have been so much fun to put together. It was very therapeutic to cut all the little squares, line them up after spending a great deal of time getting the combinations just right, and then sew them onto the cards. The inspiration came from the book Applique your way by Kayte Terry. Being the hoarder that I am, I find it hard to throw out even the tiniest piece of vintage embroidery, so all my offcuts went into this.
From there I had to go bigger, and made these patchwork zip pouches. They're a very modest attempt at patchwork, I know, but it was enough for me to see the backing fabric on the same side as the lovely embroidery I use on the front. I often spend so much time deciding on the perfect colour combinations for these pouches, and when they're made up, you don't even know what the back looks like! This pouch is loosely based on one from the wonderful book I heart patchwork, but I didn't have the time for all the little squares in the original.

These will be on my Kraftbomb table on Sunday. I'm really looking forward to going, because I missed last month's.

By the way, if you haven't entered the giveaway yet, you can do so until Sunday. I totally forgot about our camping weekend, and I won't be near a computer on Friday night. More like in a tent by the sea with good friends and fish-and-chips for dinner. Can't wait!

5 comments:

Jacqui said...

Love those cards! Very simple but effective. I'll have to get that book out from the library when I get back after Xmas, it looked good when I leafed through it but I clearly need a longer sit-down with it!

Lesley said...

Oh that's such a great update for your pouches! The cards look great too - stitching onto card is quite instant and enjoyable isn't it? I made some paper bunting that way recently for Carly's birthday.

Lynn Taylor said...

Gorgeous work! Beautiful combinations.

Ruby in the Dust said...

thanks ladies! the cards were really easy; the pouches were really time-consuming, but both doing what I love best about all this: the colours :)

Ruby in the Dust said...

thanks ladies! the cards were really easy; the pouches were really time-consuming, but both doing what I love best about all this: the colours :)