Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Summer

I found such a wonderful picture book in the library yesterday, I thought I'd share it here. It's called 'Seasons' by the French comic book artist Blexbolex, and has been translated into English and published by the small NZ publishing company Gecko Press.

The book is beautiful on so many levels; the illustrations and use of text drew me to it at first, but there is so much more to it. The paper stock feels recycled, the screenprints have a soft, layered look to them, but my favourite part would have to be the words chosen to represent the cyclical nature of the seasons. Like in the real world, the changes between seasons are gradual, and this book tracks it over a few years. It not only shows physical changes, but also emotional associations with seasons and the passing of time. It transcends age, although I think I might have enjoyed it a bit more than the boys...

Whether your Christmas will be like these images above, or below, I hope you have a very restful break, full of wonderful blessings and filled with loved ones. Merry Christmas to you :)



PS: if you'd like to hear a bit more about this book, have a read over here; Melissa from Tiny Happy wrote about it a few months back. You can also see a promotional video with many images from the book here.

5 comments:

Amy Seven-Stitches said...

You are right, it is a wonderful book. I'd love to have pages and pages of it as cards and wrapping paper to share, but will have to settle with just getting it out of the library as well

melissa said...

i love this book too. :) isn't it beautiful? actually, i blogged about it too. http://tinyhappy.typepad.com/tiny_happy/2010/10/saisons.html

i love that christmas tree print- might have to go and have another look through my copy now! x

Kitty as a Picture said...

Gecko do some lovely books! Hey, Meryy Christmas! :)

Kitty as a Picture said...

haha, oops, I mean MERRY Christmas!

Nonavee Dale said...

That's beautiful!