Saturday, January 15, 2011

Converted

I'm always so slow to get back into crafting in January, but his week I managed to make a couple of things for myself.

I found this fabric a very long time ago, but have been too scared to cut into it for fear of wrecking it. I'm sure you won't be surprised to hear that it used to be a tablecloth! I loved the colours and the fringing, and knew it had to become a skirt, but wasn't sure how much to cut out of the middle. When I saw the Circle Skirt tutorial on Made, I knew the planets had aligned and the time had come to make this! The fabric is very drapey and it moves so nicely when I walk. A skirt is so much more useful than a round tablecloth, don't you think?


Today felt too hot to even think about cardigans, but another tutorial caught my eye this week and I had to try it. I've been following Grosgrain for a while and think Kathleen is a fashion genius; she manages to make very stylish clothes from the most improbable thrifty finds. I followed this tutorial, but check all her November posts for great ideas for upcycling knits. I found this Sabatini knit top in the op shop for $2 yesterday, and it looked perfect for my plan. It was too big, so I took it in along the sides and arms, and cut the front open.


Sewed some grosgrain ribbon in a beautiful red on the inside to conceal the raw edges, and voila...

A cardigan perfect for layering. I'm planning on having a more colourful winter wardrobe, so this is a good start, especially with how the red ribbon peeks out. By the way, this photo of Daniel and I was taken by Joshua and the Tripod. The kids are growing up fast is all I can say...

9 comments:

Lesley said...

Well done! I think the skirt looks gorgeous. I'm afraid my new and lovely things to wear are straight from the rack! I too am planning a colourful wardrobe this year. I need to find some tutorials for cutting up 90's style baggy sweatshirts into chic new wearable items!

Zade Sanjay Ringer + Jasmine Hunter said...

Love the skirt! You've got fab legs H.

Danelle said...

Stunning! Well done Joshua! Mal oor die rompie. xxx

amlam said...

Lovely skirt and beautiful photo!

Jesse said...

That's a great skirt!

Ruby in the Dust said...

thanks guys! jaz, you're too kind :)

Nonavee Dale said...

Very Frankie. ;)

Love your blog org and header.

Kim W. said...

awww pretty! i love ur skirt and ur outfit!

melissa said...

totally gorgeous in every way. i love both skirt and cardy!