Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Quilt inspiration

I am officially inspired. I've been collecting fabrics for years now, with the vague hope of one day making a quilt. I've been toying with idea for a while, as you might have noticed. The thing is, the quilt I want to make is so big and the skills I'd need are so...advanced, I think. But this book is changing my mind. It's called 'The gentle art of quiltmaking' by Jane Brocket. A strange title, if you ask me. She's not very gentle in her approach to colour, or design; rather quite fearless.

Apparently she also used to have the same misgivings as myself (and I expect there are more of us). A conversation with a friend changed that: 'Oh for goodness' sake Jane, all you have to do is cut up some fabric and sew it together!', she was told. And of course it's true. It's only as complicated as you make it. In this book she talks you through her inspiration and design process for each quilt, which I find very helpful. I also like her refreshing attitude to making quilts; to have a go and enjoy it without getting caught up in the 'tyranny of perfection', as she calls it. Here are a few images from the book (all these quilts are discussed in detail, from design to choosing fabrics and directions):

This one caught my eye. Maybe it was the colour scheme, maybe just the fact that it's made from little squares, a nice simple design. It's called the Swimming Pool Quilt, for the colour scheme and the random arrangement of the blocks to suggest a dappled effect.So here's what I've got so far: a lot of turquoises, limey greens and duck-egg blues, with little accents of yellow, purple and possibly some vintage hand-embroidered linen with a touch of pink. My plan is to make the simplest quilt on the planet, without border or fuss, and it will be called the 'Summer Quilt'. For this year or next, who knows.

9 comments:

Little Miss Flossy said...

The crafty books I buy are very few and far between but I did splash out on this one. I love it! And I've blown the'tyranny of perfection' quote up to giant size and put it on my classroom wall:-)

Jacqui said...

I love her blog and read it regularly but haven't seen any of her books. I'm not surprised it's good though! Love your colour selections too.

What's the tyranny of perfection quote? Sounds like the kind of thing I need on my wall :)

Ruby in the Dust said...

hehe, it seems we're agreed on perfection! Jacqui, the context is her quilting philosophy and process; the quote 'My aim is simplification, not complication...I hope to encourage anyone who so wishes to ignore the tyranny of perfection and have a go.'
beautiful words indeed!

Rose said...

I saw an amazing quilt exhibition a couple of weeks ago, it has inspired me to give it a go one day too. Though they don't quite fit the theme of 'simplification', they are very impressive. I have just posted a blog about it with lots of pictures.

Marya said...

I love your colour selection!! My fingers are itchy! At the moment I'm very busy knitting, but would love to put my hands on some beautiful fabrics! Good luck and we can't wait to see the en result.
Ria

Anonymous said...

I to have a dream to make a quilt, one day. However, have you seen the amzing quilts retromummy does? Check out her blog if you haven't already.

snips said...

love your fabric choices!
can't wait to see the finished quilt.

Catherine said...

can you bring the book to the next lucky penny? looks fab!

Ruby in the Dust said...

thanks for the link, anonymous, her quilts are beautiful! I've discovered 'a quilt is nice' through her blog; it's my new favourite quilting blog :)