Friday, March 11, 2011

Autumn food



The best thing about this time of the year has to be our vege garden: we have a lovely crop of sweetcorn, basil and figs in various stages of ripeness. I've dealt with some of the sweetcorn already, but the basil is destined for pesto and the figs will be eaten straight from the tree with skin and all, as long as we can get in before the birds.
I bought a big bag of capsicums for just over a dollar the other day, and wanted to use it in a relish with our corn. I googled for a recipe, but eventually just googled 'images' so that I could find what I wanted. I read a few recipes, and sort of cobbled one together. This is the result, and it's delicious. I've been snacking on it all day just looking at this picture has my mouth watering for more! Have a great weekend :)
Sweetcorn and capicum relish
5 cobs of corn, kernels removed
10 capsicums (the more colours, the better), seeded and chopped finely
1 onion, chopped finely
2.5c white vinegar
1-2c white sugar (I'm a sweet tooth, so used abt 2 cups full)
2tsp salt
2tsp mustard seeds
2-3tsp cornflour and a bit of cold water to mix to paste
Boil vinegar with sugar, salt and mustard. Add corn kernels, capsicum and onion and boil for about 15min over low heat. Add cornflour paste and boil for another 5 min. Check consistency and add more cornflour if it's too runny.
Makes about 6 or 7 medium-sized jars.

2 comments:

meeks said...

Wow...I am not too familiar with that plant! Loving the vibrant green colour.

Annie B said...

We have heaps of figs on our tree this year so I have been busy making jam & chutney from the Aunt Daisy Cookbook & also dried figs and fig fruit leather in our dehydrator. I have seen a lot of my kitchen in the past couple of weeks.