Friday, April 1, 2011

In which a t-shirt becomes some pants

Craig was throwing out this old t-shirt the other day, and I had to save it. I mean, how many op shoppers in NZ would get just how awesome this t-shirt is? Not many, I'm sure. The Afrikaans phrase is 'Punt innie wind', which means something along the lines of 'everything is just fine', but I saw the value in the direct translation: point in the wind. Imagine a little crawling baby wearing these, with the words strategically placed on the bottom....
As you can see, the pattern is very simple; just two pieces sewn together. I made it from a favourite pair of the boys' baby pants I saved because I thought this pattern is so simple and clever. It allows for lots of nappy room too. I tried something new today on these pants: foldover elastic. A very simple solution to adding elastic, especially if you don't have enough fabric for a casing. The only problem is it's so narrow that there's not much room for error. Here's a good tutorial about the stuff if you're interested.


Have a nice weekend and remember to enter the giveaway if you want a Bakers Delight voucher!

7 comments:

Lesley said...

Glad to see your husband actually throws old tee shirts out!

Ruby in the Dust said...

ha! he was very surprised when I showed him what I'd made with it... Can't remember throwing it out!

Tania said...

So very cute and those words are just made for those pants! I made some very similar ones recently - just two pieces (there are some pics on my blog) and find them to be my favourite baby pants for cloth nappies.

Ruby in the Dust said...

Thanks Tania; I saw yours and they're really cute! try using an old t-shirt next time, even if you don't have an overlocker. it doesn't fray, and you just need to use a ball-point needle on your machine and fiddle around with your needle and foot pressure.

Anonymous said...

you are so, so clever and my fav sewing blog!

Franda said...

Those are SO awesome!!! Maar dit is even cooler omdat ek dit verstaan!!! Jy moet sulkes maak en verkoop! Sal graag my 6 maande oue ene is so iets wil he!!

Ruby in the Dust said...

Thanks Anonymous; you're my favourite reader too :) Franda, dankie man, wens net hulle het meer Klipdrift t-shirts hier in nZ!