Sunday, May 8, 2011

Make your own doll

You might have heard about Handmade 2011, a symposium of crafts held on 4-6 June in Te Papa, Wellington. I'm very excited to be teaching two workshops, Make your own cloth doll (in the 'Gift it' category) and Take one pillowcase ('Remade').

Meet Pandora, one of the dolls I've designed for Handmade:

Please excuse the semi-nudity; I haven't decided on her outfit yet :) In my materials pack for the workshop I'll include a printed fat quarter with two doll patterns, some stuffing, cotton, embroidery thread, wool for the hair, full instructions and clothing patterns. The face, stockings, shoes and even a little tattoo are already printed and you only need to embroider the face details, sew and stuff the doll, create hair and an outfit. And of course you can make two dolls, one in class and one at home.

I'm really looking forward to sharing my tips and learning some new crafts. Plus of course going to Wellington with some crafty friends! Have a look through the programme; there are heaps of interesting classes and teachers.

2 comments:

mila + cuatro said...

I love the petticoat! I have finished my doll that I mentioned the other night at Lucky Penny, I've posted some pictures on my blog.

Ruby in the Dust said...

Thanks Sarah! your doll looks great, and I'm with you on the bias binding!it's so fiddly, but sometimes it's easier than finishing tiny seams...