Monday, June 6, 2011

Back home

Wow, it's been a while since I've made an appearance here. I was so busy with getting ready for Handmade 2011 last week, I never even managed to show how far I got with the doll kits. Here's a little look at some of what was inside my kits for the doll classes I ran over the weekend: the printed fat quarter, stuffing, PDF with full instructions, bits and pieces to make and finish the dolls, all inside a limited edition upcycled wallpaper bag.


The kits and classes went down very well, and thankfully I didn't have to return to Auckland with a lot of stock. I didn't take any photos and now really regret that, but follow this link and you can see a finished doll made by Kathy Doughty, one of my workshop attendees. I was very honoured to have her there, but am rather embarrassed to admit that at the time I had no idea what a quilting guru she is!


I also did a pillowcase bag workshop, and it was great to be able to teach some people new skills, like creating a pleat and boxing a bag. Here's a link to Emma's post about her experience. I'm glad to see she was inspired enough to make a pillowcase dress at home using my instructions.


The biggest bonus of the weekend was rediscovering how much I enjoy teaching. As I've said before, it's been a few years since I've taught, but it felt great getting back on the bike. I'd love to do more of it, so am thinking of ways to make it work; watch this space! It helped having such lovely students: some were quite new to sewing, some starting again after long breaks, and of course there were some very experienced sewers there. If you were one of them, thank you so much for going along!


Another highlight of the weekend was that I managed to put some names to faces in the blogging and craft world, and get to know some people a bit better. It was great to have the chance to sit down and have a talk with people I'd normally just wave to at the markets. Speaking of markets, there was a small one on Saturday night and I managed to swap some of my own fabric for this beautiful new design of Melissa's, called 'Planting Seeds'. It's very typical of her lovely hand-drawn style and I love the blue and red. Will have to use it soon.

That's it for now; I have a lot to do before this weekend's Auckland Art and Craft Fair, but I'll leave you with a couple of photos of the maple in our garden. What beautiful colour so late in the season. Must have something to do with the unseasonal temperatures we're having...


4 comments:

Tania said...

Cute dolls and simply gorgeous fabric. I ordered one of Melissa's prints just this morning.

Becky (Hazel and Blue) said...

I would love one of your doll kits for my DD (or maybe for me!) they look really funky. Pleased that you have enjoyed teaching, it's great to share your knowledge with other like minded people. Bx

Notchka said...

It was really lovely to put a face to the blog, Heleen. I was rather hoping someone remembered their camera....I forgot too. Boo! Ah well, there is always next year.

Make-do Mum said...

Last link I promise - with the pillowcase and binding I purchased from you at Handmade I made a little top and pants for my ten year old (picture in link below). Very addictive wee project that dress. I have now also put on bias binding properly, and feel great satisfaction at mastering another sewing technique!
http://makedomum.blogspot.com/2011/06/making-things-out-of-pillowcases.html