Tuesday, June 28, 2011

On the needles

Some images of recent projects: the boys made these little snowmen after school one day last week. Joshua's man is sad because he lost his favourite toy, and Daniel's is happy (even though D shed many tears over things going wrong; a sensitive boy with perfectionist tendencies!). I'm so proud of them for doing this and for even being interested in making their own little toys. Long may it last...I picked up my knitting again after two months of being otherwise occupied/lack of interest. Hopefully I can wear this cardigan THIS winter, or even spring!

The start of a little collection. I've been thinking of doing a cross-stitch sampler for ages now, and finally decided what it should look like. I'm planning on making a few different pieces to go together, and my deadline is for early next year, so there's no rush. I might have to start again though, because I've made a slight mistake with spacing. What do you mean you can't see it; look between the e and v at the bottom... Did I mention perfectionist tendencies before? Even though I tell Daniel that the beauty in art is often in the imperfection, I also find it hard to let go when I'm aware of a mistake while I'm making something. It's OK to discover it afterwards, but I find my eye drawn to it if it's still fixable. Even if it's only 1mm out.

In saying that, maybe I should just relax about this one. One day my great-grandchildren will look at it and say how charming the wonky lettering is, how naive and folksy...


3 comments:

Hootnz said...

Tell your boys "well done" their snowmen look great... my boys are always asking to make something, and now and then I have the patience to sit down with them to help... felt is great for this and they feel so happy with their achievement at the end... though I also have passed down the perfectionism to my eldest.. woops!

Like the cross-stich on the linen, thats going to look sweet hanging on the wall when your'e finished.

Jacqui said...

I'm a perfectionist too, so I know where you're coming from! I tend to fix up to a certain point and then my innate laziness takes over and it's not worth the time it would take to undo (and redo!) what I've done since.

I was helping out in Hazel's class this morning and she ended up in tears over a card I was helping her group with, that was actually quite tricky and required them to draw a picture at a particular size. Several of them just couldn't seem to do that, her included, and she got so upset and cried and needed to be comforted by the other girls. She probably wouldn't have cried if I hadn't been there but oh it's hard for the kids who need to do things exactly right! The ones who just forged ahead had a much better time of it.

Ruby in the Dust said...

I suppose there's a little bit of perfectionist in everybody; it's certainly restricted to a few facets of my life :) Jacqui, I know what you mean with working up to a point; you have to ask yourself whether it's really worth fixing. I don't think this is, to be honest!