Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Colourful

Let me show you my final version of 'In the Neighbourhood' in FULL COLOUR! It seems I started working on this in March, but it took a couple of goes before I was happy with the result, and here it is. I'm very happy with this print and the colours, which were inspired by the Bo-Kaap in Cape Town.

The next print was actually just for myself, but I ordered enough of it to share. It's my 'Early Birds' design in chartreuse with blues and greys. I wanted something for a handbag lining, and my white fabric was not going to cut it. I'm also very happy with the colours here.

You may have noticed my rather large and obvious watermarks in the photos. I did it late last night, and regretted it this morning, but I'll have to find some time after the school holidays to design something a bit more subtle. It is of course a reaction to the problem of image theft I mentioned before, but I don't think I need to go quite this overboard!

I thought I'd show you just a peek at some samples I got of my latest design, Kowhai. Instead of using the beautiful but very obvious flowers, I wanted to create a pattern with the leaves and seeds. If you're not familiar with this tree, have a look here. The colours in this print were inspired by my mohair finds at the op shop the other day. Now I just have to decide on scale; I ordered 4 sizes ranging from tiny to huge, but I think the smaller prints will be more versatile.

I've put a few fat quarters of these fabrics on Etsy. The Neighbourhood is here, and Early Birds here. While you're there, have a look at my warm button scarves and other bits and pieces I've been adding to my shop over the past couple of weeks.

Keep warm and be happy :)

3 comments:

mila + cuatro said...

I love the Early birds in Chartreuse - handbag linig is exactly what I'd use it for (and other things). Can you bring some to Lucky Penny for show and tell?

greta @ topography said...

Wow, they all look great! The kowhai design is so clever :)

Karlientjie said...

Beautiful Heleen!!