Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Thief

I've been stewing over something for a week now, and thought I might vent it over here if you don't mind. I know of a few instances where people have been 'very inspired by' others' work, but this really takes the cake... Last week I heard from a friend that somebody had used my images on her Facebook page to sell 'her' products. She stole images from other crafters' shops and blogs, put these on her FB page and then made the products to order. Apparently many of these photos had watermarks that had been tinkered with or even just left on for all to see.

Thankfully by the time I heard about it, enough people had kicked up a stink and the page had been closed down... for now, anyway. I'd be surprised if she uses the same page name when she starts up again, so it's probably not even worth mentioning the name here. As worthless as it seems in this case, I think I need to start watermarking my photos. I've been thinking about doing it for ages now and the time has come. Can I also please ask anyone who ever sees or suspects that sort of thing happening, to take a screen-shot and let the original designer know. It's so easy to remove all traces of thievery like this and a screen-shot is great evidence.

I am obviously so angry about this. It took me many hours to come up with the design, many more to make those products and style them, get the photos, etc. and then just a click for someone to claim them as her own. Not good.

9 comments:

Jacqui said...

Jeez...I've heard of this kind of thing before and it never ceases to amaze me. Not only is it morally lacking, but how stupid are the people who do it? I feel the same when a student plagiarises on an essay in some glaringly obvious way. And not only are they morally bankrupt and stupid, but they assume we're stupid as well! I'm glad they got caught out, but I can well imagine that it's small consolation for you.

Fancy! New Zealand Design Blog said...

This makes me so angry!!!

Annie B said...

Sadly there are people out there with no conscience. I have had this happen to me but in both cases their work was very shoddy so they dropped out of sight again pretty quickly. Angry actually doesn't really cover how it makes you feel.

Danelle van Eeden said...

Terrible! Dis so 'n verskriklike verbeeldinglose ding om te doen!

kittie444 said...

Oooh.... I am a "stalker" and haven't commented before but YES!! I know who you mean!! Sorry to hear that this thing happens...

Great stuff by the way - I have been meaning to write for a long time now!

((that person's stuff is nowhere near as great as yours!)) but it's the stealing that's a real piss off.

:)

Kate (kittie444@hotmail.com)

Ruby in the Dust said...

thanks for the support, guys! yep, it's a sign that there are some pretty unimaginative people out there...

Jennie said...

Hey Heleen - is it the same one we've spoken about before?XX

Homespun Hero's said...

I'm reading this WAY to often nowadays. Nothing is sacred out in cyber space is it!? Bad juju, but glad she's been closed down!

anissa ljanta said...

this is terrible Heleen, i have obviously been out of the loop on this one, hadn't heard about it. what a shocker, thanks for speaking up about it.