Friday, July 1, 2011

Warm necks

We had our first frosty morning here today, and even though it was only on the rooftops, it's cold enough for gloves and scarves. Perfect timing for the neck-warmers I made yesterday. Daniel is wearing his the traditional way, and Joshua has his Survivor-style on the head. These took me 10 minutes to make, so I thought I'd show you how to make your own.

I used an old lambswool jumper of Craig's that had holey elbows. You can make at least two children's cowls out of one jumper, but might be able to squeeze two more small ones depending on the size of your jumper and its neckline (a V-neck will of course give you less fabric). I haven't tried it yet, but I think you could also make a nice wide adult's cowl by using the whole bottom half of the jumper. For a child's cowl, cut open the side seams 25cm from the bottom edge and cut across the jumper like in the illustration
.
Use a zig-zag stitch or overlock the raw top edge of the rectangle. Place this edge on the original bottom edge of the jumper, right sides together and stitch across. Turn the tube inside out and position the new seam at the bottom of your cowl.

Finally place right sides together (if there is a difference) and stitch across the two raw edges. It would be a good idea to try it on for size at this point, so you can make it a bit smaller if necessary. Finish the raw edges with a zig-zag stitch or overlock. Turn the cowl inside out and hide the exposed seam in the back of the neck.

There are probably other ways of making it look nicer, but I think the speed and ease makes it worth trying. Have a lovely Friday!

3 comments:

Rach said...

Nice repurposing - well done! Your boys look lovely & warm : )

Jacqui said...

Great cowls and excellent repurposong! I was quite excited about how cold it was this morning because I got to wear the beautiful handknitted hat I got for Christmas that I haven't been able to wear yet and the elegant leather gloves I got in Canada. I love winter! Except for how cold our house gets :)

Is there a Lucky Penny this month? I thought I might tempt fate and put it on the calendar if there is!

Ruby in the Dust said...

Thanks! I love wearing my collection of hats, gloves and scarves too (although I get so cold I’m tempted to overdo it with the accessories!). Our house is the same, often colder inside than out.
Lucky Penny is on this Tue, it would be lovely to see you there if you can make it. Cross the road very carefully though :)