Monday, August 22, 2011

Stitches

Today was such a beautiful one, don't you think? Here in Auckland it felt like spring isn't far off; in fact you can be excused for thinking it's here already if you look at all the blossoms out.

I had a little adventure into the city this morning to visit Heather at Pauanesia. I've made a few cards for the shop using their vintage maps, and am very excited about a second project: I'll be dipping into Heather's fabulous collection of vintage fabrics to make some bags especially for Pauanesia! Will keep you updated about that.


While I was out I got a copy of the latest Extra-Curricular. What a success. Well done Ellie for producing a magazine while on your OE; I can't imagine many people would be able to multi-task to that extent! And I was pleasantly surprised to see my work in there as well, in Anissa's article about upcycling, 'Waste not, want not'.

Now for something a bit more random: I have a pretty new teapot and cozy. Here it is, but I'll tell you more about it at the bottom of the post.


Speaking of pretty, and following from the title, some new pouches. I've got two markets this weekend, and hope to see you at either the B-Street night market on Saturday (5-9pm, St Kevin's Arcade on K'Rd) or Kraftbomb on Sunday morning (11-2, Grey Lynn Community Centre on Richmond Rd).

And here is the teapot again, with sewing pins for scale. Amazing! It was hand-knitted by a lady called Helen Palenski here in NZ, using tiny wire knitting needles. We took the boys to the North Shore Miniature Club's annual show over the weekend and were amazed at the detail and imagination of the displays...


6 comments:

Lesley said...

OMG that teapot is gorgeous. Nice trick : )

Julie said...

That teapot is amazing!! Your new pouches look very lovely also. I have got my copy of Extra Curricular and theres some GREAT reading in this issue. good luck with the markets. Cheers, Julie :-)

Ruby in the Dust said...

It's so tiny I'm scared I'm going to lose it! Gorgeous hey.

Thanks Julie :)

Ineka said...

That miniature show sounds fun! Reminds me of a few dollhouse shows I made my mum take me to when I was a kid. You might like this article about dollhouse love (sorry, don't know how to make the link pretty!)
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/18/garden/j-courtney-sullivan-a-hobby-best-kept-small.html?_r=1

Anna said...

Heleen... that teapot is ridiculously cute!!! Am yet to pick up my copy of Extra Curricular - some of my embroidery is in it :) Might catch you at K-bomb on sunday.
ps. thanks for the link!

Jodie said...

I read about your blog in the latest Extra Curricular. Congratulations. I wanted to come have a look at your bags made from embroidered cloths because I sew with them too. I make handbags out of them. Its nice to give them a new life isn't it. Anyway if you're interested my blog is homespunblissblog.blogspot.com
cheers