Friday, September 2, 2011

Green

I realised yesterday that my finished projects of this week all had one thing in common: a colour. Completely accidental, or spooky alignment with spring? Like most things in my life, probably the former.

The first is modeled by young Joshua. Can you see him there? He's a tree, but if you're having trouble, just look for the red gumboots...


I made 12 of these, and had to line them because I thought hessian would be a great (super-cheap) fabric with real presence on the stage, but then reality hit when I started itching. So glad we have wooden floors too, because after sweeping the floor five times already since yesterday I'm still getting little fluffy green clouds floating through the house!

After knitting (and frogging, and starting a new one) a cardigan for the last 6 months, I decided I needed an instant gratification project. This is the double-bump facecloth, pattern available here, knitted in a lovely soft cotton/acrylic mix. I'm in love with this colour, by the way. Would you call it sage? I do anyway.
I have a green robe to talk about but no photos, so let's leave that one and move on to my great find of the week. Admittedly it's not something I made, but something I found while turnupstuffing. If you're not familiar with the term, it's one of Pippi Longstocking's favourite activities and one my boys and I really enjoy. More about that at the end of the post if you're interested.

Anyway, here it is, my new egg beater, coincidentally in the beautiful sage colour. I have a hand mixer but this is so much better; I enjoy the soft rattle it makes, the clever design of how those little round nobs are not just decorative but also functional (they drive the cog / am I making sense here: got no mechanical vocabulary!). It's also part of my growing collection of Vintage Painted-wooden-handled Kitchen Tools. Must show you sometime...



"I happen to be a turnupstuffer, so of course I never have a free moment." "What's that?" asked Tommy. "Somebody who finds the stuff that turns up if only you look, of course. What else would it be?" said Pippi. "The whole world is filled with things that are just waiting for someone to come along and find them, and that's just what a turnupstuffer does."
Astrid Lindgren,
'Pippi Longstocking'

6 comments:

Jacqui said...

My Swiftwhip is one of my treasured possessions! It has a red handle, or I should say did, because the paint was flaking off so I removed the remnants and oiled it and now it's a lovely wood that is stained a faded red by the paint. I really want to find another for Hazel for when she moves out because they don't make them like they used to! We bought one for my in-laws and they put it in the dishwasher several times and ruined it. Still can't quite get over that!

Megan said...

I am loving green at the moment too. And just reading that little bit of Pippi Longstocking brought back happy memories- I can't wait to read it to my kiddies :)

Ruby in the Dust said...

I've just introduced the boys to Pippi; my sisters and I had hours of fun reading those books! Jacqui, I found this one for $2, can you believe it. I'm glad to hear it looks good without the paint too, although knowing myself I'd be very tempted to repaint :)

Flower said...

'Vintage Painted-wooden-handled Kitchen Tools'...were we twins in a past life? Please please post a post of them...I love my swift whip & would not part with it for the world...my other fav painted handle kitchen apparatus is my 'giant icing spatula thingy' (I am obviously not a true & informed collector or I would know what it's really called) All lead based I'm sure lol.

Jacqui said...

$2! Far out, I think mine was about $20 12 years ago, god knows what they're worth now! Worth every penny though. I would have repainted it but I didn't know what would be safe around food so just left it. I love the feeling of the smooth wood too!

Ruby in the Dust said...

hehe, Flower, you made me laugh! I've just done a post to satisfy your kitchen tool craving :)