Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Painted wood

I mentioned my growing collection of vintage wooden-handled kitchen tools in my previous post and here's the evidence...  


I have a rule when I come across these: it has to be useful in my own kitchen.  Speaking of that, I used the Swiftwhip for the first time tonight and I can see the electric mixer's days are numbered...




The majority of my collection is by Skyline and were made in England.  These fish slices and spatula are Skyline, and the very useful little apple corer is by Dalson Ware in Australia.  By the bit of paint left on it, it used to be sage green. I'm tempted to paint it again.

These are also Skyline; one gets used a fair bit and the other one not much.  I use the pastry blender to cut in butter when making scones (and a little kitchen tip from me: I grate the butter first).  The vegetable cutter might come in handy when I host an 80's style dinner party :) 
This serrated tomato slicer is also Skyline and works really well.  I think it's a good idea to put the tomato on a chopping board and not to hold it in your hand when using this little number...

As you saw with the vegetable slicer, I don't always stick to my rule of usefulness.   I was so intrigued when I found this strange tool, I had to get it.  I thought I might use it for cutting pastry or pasta, but in my research today I discovered it's a herb cutter. It was made by Tala in England and it has a very interesting hinged mechanism.  I tried it out tonight and boy, does it shred herbs.  A keeper.



3 comments:

Jacqui said...

That herb cutter is neat! I'm only familiar with the wedge-shaped metal ones with the rotating spool of wire inside and the handle on the outside.

Love the rest of your finds though, the tomato cutter would be used here too. I have pretty much stopped using my pastry blender since I started grating cold butter into the flour for scones, but yours looks so snappy I'd still want it!

Amy Seven-Stitches said...

I love the worn patina of wooden handles and of course no fish slice/spatula is ever as thin as those ones. You have a beautiful collection there.

growMama said...

what wonderful finds! i have my nana's swisswhip and it comes out pretty much every day, i love it. she used it every day too...and its still going strong. i love that it reminds me of her.