Tuesday, October 18, 2011

New

It's spring, and the weather is all over the place, going from warm sunshine to heavy showers in minutes. I took some photos when the sun was out last week: our wisteria in full bloom, new strawberry and tomato plants. we've never had much luck with growing tomatoes, but fingers crossed for this year.  I wish for plump red fruit that squash when you squeeze it, that smell of warm summer days and will carry the taste of summer into autumn and beyond in the form of passata.  







Speaking of sauce, I am utterly inspired by this little book at the moment: Preserves by Pam Corbin, part of the River Cottage Handbook series.  Although it has many recipes using fruit that we don't get here in NZ (or shall I say, get cheaply), I marked about 7 must-trys.  I made the first today, and it's beyond delicious.  I'm not a big fan of lemon curd, but the Bramley Lemon curd is made with about 4 cooking apples and 2 lemons, and tastes just like Ms Corbin describes: 'like eating apples and custard: sofly sweet, tangy and quite, quite delicious'.  Couldn't have said it better myself. There's a copy of the recipe on the River Cottage website.

4 comments:

Make-do Mum said...

Yum! I recently had way too much citrus and made some grapefruit curd. It was rich and delicious and the baby and I enjoyed a dollop in our yoghurt at lunchtime! This looks a lot less rich and very yummy.

imba said...

Yum! Must try that recipe too... yours looks lovely :-)

Ruby in the Dust said...

That’s a great idea, it would be so yum with yoghurt! I’m already planning to get up early so I can try it on my toast, how dorky am I? I also have a whole box full of very juicy grapefruit to deal to tomorrow...

growMama said...

hi lovely, thanks for the heads up on the river cottage bramley curd...we made some lemon curd from the lemons from our trees and it's delicious but more suited to lemon tarts than toast i think...i'll try your one next! x