Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Bunting galore

I spent a morning at kindy last week to make some bunting with Joshua and his friends. My plan was to make bunting from some plastic bags so that they can hang it outside without it getting too wet. I suppose the plastic will perish after a few months from being exposed to the sun, but it'll look good until it does. 

I made a second string this morning, and here it is brightening up our play hut in the garden.  This hut, by the way, was built by my clever husband using old kauri wallboards from when they renovated his workplace (an old villa). If you're not from NZ, this wood is now pretty priceless and I can't believe we've used it as shingles and kindling!  

Back to the bunting, I used heavier-style plastic carry bags and got the kids to cut it into squares and rectangles.  This was not easy for them, since the kindy scissors are a bit blunt for the job.  I used bias binding and sewed it all together using the zig zag stitch on my sewing machine. I love the random colours and sizes, although I kept a pretty tight reign on just how random things should be.  Organised randomness is the key, people :)



But that's not all the bunting-making that's been going on. I've also been making mini-bunting strips for our tree, using little pieces of fabric, all from the scrap basket.  The left-over triangles were used for Christmas cards, which will be on my table on Thursday night. I'll be at the Gladstone Primary School Christmas market (8 Seaview Terrace, Mt Albert) between 5 and 9. Hope to see you there!



5 comments:

vicky said...

awesome...excellent piece of work.i have never seen such a beautiful color combination.color buttons are looking gorgeous


Plastic Card
Plastic Cards

Little Miss Flossy said...

Organised randomness - love it! I sew with kids every day so I know exactly what you mean.

Robyn said...

Sooo beautiful! Love it all. thank you :)

Lesley said...

The bag bunting is looking awesome. I am going to totally copy you and do some with the kids for our treehouse too. That OK? : )

Ruby in the Dust said...

I'm glad you like it :) Of course you can make some too, Lesley! I'm going to make some for us for hanging outside too; this went to the kindy.