Monday, December 19, 2011

Decorating the tree

Putting up and decorating the tree is my favourite Christmas tradition, and I'm so glad my boys have inherited that from me. This year the two of them put our tree up all by themselves, working together: taking turns to hand each other the branches and put it into the right spots.  Very impressive.  

This year I made some new bunting decorations for our tree, which you can see here. I also  took part in the Sew Funky Christmas decoration swap, and thankfully started planning well in advance so I didn't have to rush it like most things this December. Here's what I came up with; some simple layered felt decorations: 
The great thing about the swap is of course the decorations you get in the mail.  My favourite were Emily's peanut people.  This little snowman has the cutest black hat on his head, plus he came with a Santa and an elf!  The next decoration down is Aynsley's ribbon and bead tree; very clever.  


I also have a growing vintage collection, including some very fragile and therefore precious glass baubles.  This little felt mouse with candle was made in Japan (where else?).  I found the wooden angel this week and she has pride of place on the mantelpiece.  
  

4 comments:

♥●• İzdihër •●♥ said...

Your work is awesome.

Follow each other.

Sweet Living magazine said...

Love your felt decorations!

Ruby in the Dust said...

thanks so much! Sweet Living, you look like a beautiful mag; would love to have a look soon :)

Anna said...

Heleen! Your decorations are sooo cute! Hope that you had a FAB Christmas and New Year. I am so glad that Lucky Penny seems to be taking off after my departure :) Have been lazy(er) with my blog since the move but will hopefully post an embroidery update soon :)