Monday, April 25, 2011

Solution





I've been making some covers for a friend's vintage eiderdowns, and wondered about ways I can keep the inners from moving around inside their new covers. Thank goodness for the clever folks at Martha Stewart who suggest adding some ribbons to the inside corners of duvet covers to keep it all nice and tidy. I had to improve by making it loops of elastic, of course!


The idea came from this book, by the way.

Sunday, April 17, 2011

'In the Neighbourhood' range



Ta-daaaaah! Let me introduce you properly to my new babies: 'Early birds' and 'Doors and windows' (Birds and Frames for short). The elements for the new designs come straight out of the original 'In the Neighbourhood' and were inspired by a need for smaller prints that can work on smaller pieces. You can blame my new interest in quilting and patchwork for that...


I wanted to make something with them before I posted about it so that you can see how the designs work together. And how great are those co-ordinating solids; all just from the quilting section at Spotlight! I was very tempted to get some panels printed in coral or mustard, but in the end I settled on Deep Red, Aqua and Biscuit. I think those three colours can successfully be mixed and matched in any combination, plus they're not gender-specific. My base cloth is a beautiful pure white Quilter's Muslin and I think the designs really stand out on this.


I'm planning on sewing a quite a few things from these, but have also put them in my Etsy shop to see how they go (Frames, Birds, Neighbourhood). I'd love to hear what you think about it :)

Friday, April 15, 2011

Peek



I can't keep it to myself any more, so I'll give you a little look at my newest fabrics, fresh off the printing table. It's my 'In the neighbourhood' range, and there are two new designs to co-ordinate with the little houses. I'm not ready to show much more, but promise to do a good post in the next few days...


Have a lovely weekend everyone :)

Monday, April 11, 2011

On sale

I made a little satchel for my nephew Adam the other day, and it looked so cute I had to make a few more. I made them with a generous front pocket for treasures and special toys, and the inside is big enough to hold a snack, a book and some pens and even more treasures. I've listed a couple on Felt and two on Etsy.




As you can see, I've used my Neighbourhood print for the pocket. I'm having a sale on my remaining fabric panels in my Etsy shop and have also listed a few cushion covers made with the same fabric there. I'm very excited about some new designs that will be screen-printed later this week, and need to make space for those. I'm doing them in different colours, so this is your last chance to get the teal and green fabrics before they're gone forever.

Friday, April 1, 2011

In which a t-shirt becomes some pants

Craig was throwing out this old t-shirt the other day, and I had to save it. I mean, how many op shoppers in NZ would get just how awesome this t-shirt is? Not many, I'm sure. The Afrikaans phrase is 'Punt innie wind', which means something along the lines of 'everything is just fine', but I saw the value in the direct translation: point in the wind. Imagine a little crawling baby wearing these, with the words strategically placed on the bottom....
As you can see, the pattern is very simple; just two pieces sewn together. I made it from a favourite pair of the boys' baby pants I saved because I thought this pattern is so simple and clever. It allows for lots of nappy room too. I tried something new today on these pants: foldover elastic. A very simple solution to adding elastic, especially if you don't have enough fabric for a casing. The only problem is it's so narrow that there's not much room for error. Here's a good tutorial about the stuff if you're interested.


Have a nice weekend and remember to enter the giveaway if you want a Bakers Delight voucher!