Saturday, March 17, 2012

The hutch

Meet my little china cabinet, or Hutch, as I like to call her.  She came to us via TradeMe, with broken glass, a missing back and the ugliest handles you've ever seen; a cheaply-made pine cupboard with pretty scallops.   As you might have noticed before, I see The Potential in everything and had to have her.  About a dozen coats of paint, and all the replacement parts later, I think she looks a million dollars.  She houses my random collection of tea party china and jugs, which coordinate very well with the bit of color I used on the inside.  It's 'Chinook' by Resene, by the way; one of my favourite colors of all time.


  



Update: as usual I just jumped in and started painting before I took any photos, but it was an  almost orange varnished pine with these handles.  Looking at them now, I wonder how they would look with some, ahem, paint.  It's the answer to everything, you know. 



8 comments:

Anna said...

This is great Miss DIY- love the fact that used another colour on the inside!
Thanks for the advice on my embroidery :)

Jacqui said...

Oooo! Pretty! Do you have a 'before' photo so we can admire your work even more? Though I can imagine what it was like - except the handles!

Joanna (little minx) said...

Love it! What a great job - and I just love the piles of plates and cups you have, they look really great!

CraftyFox said...

Cool! I love that colour- it goes well with your collection :)

Megan said...

absolutely gorgeous- love the scallops! and that paint colour looks so pretty on the inside. Bet you had a lot of fun arranging everything after it was finished- looks like you have some great collections :)

Julie said...

I think it looks just gorgeous!!! You have done an amazing job and I can imagine your sense of satisfaction as have been redoing some old furniture myself lately. Also loving your collection of old china on display, Well done, :-) Julie

Ruby in the Dust said...

thanks for all the kind comments! Julie, you're right about feeling very (self) satisfied: I found myself sighing happily every time I walked past! Craig eventually commented that I must be very proud of myself, hehe, Funny what something so simple can do to the spirit!

Genie said...

I love it! I have always wanted to DIY a hutch, but my kitchen space doesn't allow me to have one. You've done a great job. I would have been tempted to spray paint the original handles in jewel colours.