Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Solid

My current obsession with colour started on Mothers' Day, when I sat down with Daniel and Joshua to play around with my box of watercolour paints. We decided to just fill some blocks and see what happens, and this was the lovely result: 
Daniel's blocks, full of saturated colour.  I really like the fearless way he used all his colours. 
Joshua's ambitious number of blocks, with some more subtle colours.
My blocks.  I tried to use colours I don't normally like, for example orange and purple. 

That was fun, and planted the seed for a plan for my quilt. All those blocks of solid colour appeal to me, and I think the simplicity would be a great way to show off some hand-quiting. While I adore prints, I'd like to experiment with how some colours and lines work together to create new patterns. 

Then I discovered a book by Nancy Crow in the library.  I can't believe I've never heard of this prolific and talented textile artist before! She creates very strong, linear quilts with fabrics that she dyes herself.  Here are some images from the book:




I was inspired, and had a good look through my stash. I was surprised to see this small collection in amongst all my prints:
And here is what I achieved this afternoon, after a lot of sketching and a trip to my family farm courtesy of Google Earth:
The start of a very improvisational and wonky lap quilt. The grey is a road, the blocks vineyards and farm paddocks.  I can't wait to work on it again tomorrow, although I expect a fair amount of time will be spent unpicking!

2 comments:

Jacqui said...

What a fun idea! I've been wanting to make a Canterbury Plains quilt for awhile, and have a few pins on Pinterest, but making it even more personal like yours is wonderful.

nzgreenbuttons said...

my kids have been doing watercolours too, I've been thinking of printing them into fabric via spoonflower. They seem to be so relaxed in their paintings, not like me.