Monday, May 21, 2012

Top

I've been working on the quilt top on and off all week since Wednesday, and it's almost finished! As expected, I've had to unpick a few seams (mostly because of issues with wonkiness, but I've also had to rethink some colour placements). Apart from that though, it's been much more straightforward than I thought it might be. Hopefully the squaring-off process is just as trouble-free! 


Not having made anything like this before, I totally improvised.  If you're an experienced quilter, you may want to look away now.  This was my process: I sketched it out based on the lines on an aerial photo, then taped lengths of brown paper together to the actual size I wanted the quilt to be.  I drew the lines onto the paper, then cut it out in about 6 sections.  I cut out the blocks in each section and placed that on the fabric and just added seam allowances as I cut. Everything was cut out with scissors and when I needed to make corrections,  I drew on the fabric with my boys' Twistable crayons.  Since there are no straight lines, I didn't see the need for a rotary cutter. It's quite flat, surprisingly, but we'll see how flat when I start quilting.  And if it's not flat, I don't care too much. This is fabric after all, not paper.

2 comments:

Jacqui said...

I love it - both the idea and the execution!

Ineka said...

Wow, I'm speechless - this looks so amazing! And I love how the colours look together - can't wait to see the finished quilt!