Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Upholstered

A couple of weeks ago I found this little stool in an op shop for $8.  I'm a sucker for those tapering legs, plus Craig still needs to elevate his foot, so I killed two birds with one stone and brought it home.  The wool was falling out and had bugs living in it, so that went immediately.

Look what it had underneath though: it says NZ Lambs Wool stool, made in Howick.  


I decided to reupholster it with my limited knowledge of upholstery (picked up from Sally Ridge in an ancient home do-up TV show, I kid you not!). I went to Para Rubber, got a small piece of upholstery foam and some batting for about $15, took that and our staple gun to Lucky Penny and hoped for the best.  First I cut the foam to the exact shape of the seat, then covered it with batting, which I stapled to the underside of the seat. Then, with a bit of wrangling and stretching, I covered it with a piece of fabric, which I also stapled and then trimmed, like so:


After this I unscrewed the legs, stapled some vinyl to the bottom to hide the mess, cut crosses for the legs and screwed them back on. 
Voila! 

This beautiful fabric is 'Autumn Leaf' by Holli Zollinger, and you can find it here on Spoonflower.


8 comments:

Jacqui said...

Oh my gosh, that's gorgeous! I'm a sucker for those kinds of legs too. And it's in such good shape!

Anonymous said...

Holli Zollinger is my favourite Spoonflower designer :-) You've done a fab. job on the stool - it looks amazing.

CraftyFox said...

Well done! that looks awesome!

Megan said...

love it! I so want to recover our dining chairs now- yay for staple guns!

clare said...

wow, you did a beautiful job, and I love the print you chose!
x

Ruby in the Dust said...

thank you all :) The fabric is so perfect for this project, and I only used a fat quarter!

mila + cuatro said...

It looks awesome, wish I was mobile enough to come to Lucky Penny! What weight is the fabric, is it furnishing weight? Have fun at Handmade next weekend, maybe next year I'll be able to make it - if I'm not pregnant or breastfeeding.

Ahipara Girl said...

That's gorgeous. I used to live in Howick, Highland Park actually. I went to Pakuranga College and Howick Primary and Intermediate. I love Easter Beach and no trip to Auckland is ever complete without a walk along there picking up pretty scallop shells, looking out to the Hauraki and an ice cream from the dairy on the corner. x