Saturday, July 14, 2012

Best lunch ever

Today's lunch was exceptional, if I say so myself.  Fresh bread and just-made persimmon chutney with cheese and fresh coriander. The bread was made from my second batch of the no-knead dough, made with about 1/2 plain flour, and 1/4 each of high-grade and wholemeal flour, with puffed Amaranth on top. I'm very happy with this ratio and the amaranth adds a nice nutty flavour. 



We were given a huge bag of persimmons the other day and I thought a chutney would be good way to enjoy it into summer.  I found a couple of recipes and combined them (from Epicurious and Nourish), and the result is really delicious: sweet, tangy with great colour. Here is my recipe:

Persimmon chutney (makes 3 large jars)

2kg peeled and chopped ripe persimmons
2 chopped onions
2 cloves crushed garlic
small piece of crushed ginger
1/2 cup lemon juice
1 cup vinegar
2 cups white sugar
1 Tbsp each: curry powder, ground coriander, sweet chilli sauce, salt

Boil until liquid is reduced and chutney has the consistency of jam.

4 comments:

Tinks* said...

Oh! Delish! I am always looking for a new way to use persimmons- especially the riper ones, as I FEEL I should love them more than I actually do! ;-).*

Lesley said...

Ooooh that looks just lovely. I'm in love with Sheran's cucumber chutney with cheese, so must make some of the persimmon stuff and some of that divine looking bread.

Ruby in the Dust said...

I'm sure you won't be disappointed, ladies! I don't like the very ripe ones either, Tinks, this is a good way to use those soft ones :)

clare said...

YUM!