Sunday, July 1, 2012

Slowly

I've been enjoying life in the slow lane the last few weeks. Joshua started school this term and suddenly I have more time for both work and myself (although strangely enough I always run out of time for house work!). I've made some progress on my quilt, aided by my new quilting frame and Kathy's technique of quilting with multiple needles. I'm enjoying it, but can see that even with a few needles at the same time it's going to take me quite some time to finish.

In other slow news, meet my bread baby. She's a week old and such a bubbly thing. It's the No-knead artisan bread (find the recipe here at the Italian Dish) and keeps for 2 weeks in the fridge; like a sourdough but without all the feeding. I've made a couple of small loaves so far and we all love it so much there's usually just enough for one meal. Delicious.

I've actually been taking things slowly for a bit longer than this term though; I've done only one market so far this year, haven't applied for the Auckland Art and Craft Fair later this month and will probably only start doing more markets around October. I've been meaning to explain my absence from the markets but it's complicated. Let's just say it's a combination of Crafting For Profit Fatigue, slow sales and boredom with having made the same products for the last 4-odd years; probably all feeding off each other.

I'm very excited about the new direction Ruby in the Dust is taking though. I can't show you what I've been doing yet, but just know that I haven't been twiddling my thumbs for the last few months. There are some fresh new designs in the pipeline and hopefully I can show you some soon.  I've also really enjoyed teaching at Handmade last month and today at Lopdell House. Today's class was great fun; maybe I can share some photos of my projects tomorrow. If not, we're off on holiday for a week on Tuesday, yippee! Time for reading, knitting, playing Scrabble and catching up with friends and family...

4 comments:

Lopdell House Gallery said...

We loved having you come to teach at Make & Cake. Your relaxed teaching style was embraced by all and the ideas given have been buzzing round in people's heads - including mine - ever since.

Thank you so much for sharing your experience and skills with us. It was very enjoyable.

Lisa

Ruby in the Dust said...

Thanks Lisa, I had a fantastic time too :)

Julie said...

Hi Heleen, I can totally relate to your crafting fatigue feelings. I look forward to seeing the new direction for Ruby in the Dust - good luck with it all. Have a well earned break away. Julie :-)

Ruby in the Dust said...

Thank you so much, Julie :) I can't wait to share what I've been working on; hopefully just a few more weeks!