Saturday, October 27, 2012

Sweet home


I hope you're enjoying the sunshine today (if you're in Auckland anyway)! It's a good day for a picnic in the park, and to look at the fourth design in my DIY series.  

It's a little house with a jewelled roof and a long story.  This house is based on a photo I found online and pinned here, but at the time I couldn't find the source.  I originally used a version of it in my 'In the Neighbourhood' print a few years ago now, and when I was looking for a house for the kit, I went back to the Pinterest image for inspiration. I recently discovered that that Pinterest house is a real-life copy of the adorable house in the movie Up. 


As far as the embroidery goes, I'd rate the difficulty level as intermediate.  It has French knots around the windows, but they can be replaced by beads if you like.  French knots are actually not difficult at all, but I think if you've never done them, they can be a bit intimidating. It just takes a bit of practice!  I've also used scallop stitch for the roof tiles, which is an adapted version of a stitch I saw in Sublime Stitching. The rest is all running stitch and back-stitch or chain stitch. 

Next week I'll show you the final design, and get ready for Craft 2.0 next Saturday in Wellington (read about me here), where I will launch these kits and some lovely new decals I've also been making.  That means just one more week of late nights doing the final assembly of the kits. I can't wait to show you the final product; it looks great if I say so myself!

5 comments:

Stella Rutherford said...

These are so lovely Heleen! You are such a talented lady...

Ruby in the Dust said...

thank you, Stella :) You are very kind!

Kitty as a Picture Illustration and Surface Design Blog said...

So pretty in embroidery. Well done!

Andrea said...

They look great! I'm too new to your blog to know how things work, so will you sell the kits in your felt shop or somewhere else too?

Ruby in the Dust said...

Hi Andrea, thanks so much :) Yes, I will be listing these kits in my Felt and Etsy shops as soon as I can. I'm hoping to have it up by Friday, but might run out of time, so maybe early next week.