Monday, December 10, 2012

Advent


Now that the Auckland Art and Craft Fair is over, I'm on holiday: time to seriously start thinking about Christmas. Look what I've made so far to decorate the mantelpiece: an advent calendar and a putz house. The advent calendar is a very simple project; it took me a couple of hours and I only used felt that I had in my stash.  I am a huge fan of Rachel Castle and took my inspiration from her work when I did the numbers.  I glued them to the felt bags and then sewed the lot to some ribbon. I like the fact that my colours aren't all 'Christmassy'.  I filled the bags with stickers, decorations for the tree and chocolate coins.  Elizabeth from ZippityDooDah gave the idea to also include notes like 'today we are sending Christmas cards' or 'today we are decorating the glitter house'.


The glitter house... How I love this little building! I've got a bit of an obsession with houses and have always thought that one day I might make a few glitter houses. Last week I couldn't wait any longer and made one from a Martha Stewart pattern.  It was so much easier than I had imagined; I have a few patterns I'd like to try next. It might be a new Christmas tradition in our house to add to the collection every year. Do you have any special traditions this time of the year?

4 comments:

Cat said...

LOVE the house !! !! Tilda has a pattern for houses in her Winter book which I have been eyeing up
As for traditions we have a heap of them LOL which I've been linking up each week with the Christmas Traditions linky

nzgreenbuttons said...

Love your advent calendar, I've never heard of glitter houses! I was SO disappointed not to see your kits on Saturday, next time I must remember to take a helper with me so I can slip away and have a good look around. Hope you had a good day at the fair

Megan said...

I have a house obsession too, yours is very cute, must have a go at one with my girls- I used to make a very basic one when I was little all the time! Love your advent calendar too :)

Ruby in the Dust said...

Cat, your blog looks very Christmassy! Tilda patterns are so cute, I'd love to see your house if you make one :) I had a good day, thanks Louana, not as busy as usual but still fun. Megan, your girls would love it, but I bet you'll enjoy it even more!!