Thursday, January 31, 2013

Highlighted

I'm so proud of my new dress, I'm even willing to pose for a photo to show it off! Last year I made the Lisette Portfolio tunic, and was very impressed with the beautiful pocket detailing.  Unfortunately I chose a busy print and the detail got lost, so I thought about ways to accentuate it.  I also wanted to try it on an old favourite pattern of mine, a dress from the Japanese book Sewing Talk. I thought about it for ages and as usual it took much less time to actually make it.  I had to make new pattern pieces by combining the front panels and adjusting the pocket panel, but it wasn't as hard as it sounds.  The fabric is a heavy printed linen I found at Fabricabrac last year and the piping is really just a folded strip of cotton cut on the bias. I made sure it was cut nice and straight so that the binding would be the same width throughout. Next time I might add a bit of width in the skirt part, so I can have my hands in my pockets without worrying about what my behind looks like!




4 comments:

Kelly E said...

Hi Heleen - love the dress! Just thought I'd let you know I haven't actually made a start on the kit you sent me but I will once I'm back in my own house - bit overcrowded at my Mum's right now :)

Jesse said...

Wow, it's lovely!

Ella said...

I love everything about this dress - the style, the fabric, and especially what you've done with the contrasting binding. Complete awesomeness!

Ruby in the Dust said...

Thanks for the dress love, ladies! I wish I knew more about pattern design to be able to make my own; I couldn't have done it without both patterns...