Monday, April 15, 2013

QSI Hexagons

Welcome to my secret squirrel world where I do quilt forensics...


The other day I found a small hexagon quilt at the op shop for $5.  I was very impressed with the colours, but it had a growing hole in the middle, so I thought about making it into some cushion covers. The other night at Lucky Penny I was raving about the spontaneity of this type of quilting, done long before 1/4" seams and rotary cutters. It's random and lovely.  It's all hand-stitched.  I wanted to give it new batting and do a bit of hand-quilting to give it some love.  Then I opened it up and discovered this:


It's unbelievable how somebody could keep track of all those shapes; they were all randomly cut without a template. There's no consistent seam allowance, no ironing, lots of bunched up bits and not a chance of me getting through so many layers with a needle.  This is what it looks like after an ironing session:


Today I did a bit of machine quilting, gave it a blue linen backing and red piping. I'm pretty happy with the result:


The massive woolen blanket I got on the same day had very frayed edges, so I've given it a lovely floral binding (Reprodepot fabric from Spotlight).  I initially thought about giving it a satin border, but at $4.50 a metre (and needing around 9m!), that was never going to happen. And Plan B turned out much nicer than a piece of satin ribbon ever would, don't you think?

6 comments:

snips said...

Lovely finds!
And great job fixing them up :)

Miss Adelaide said...

Good work Heleen! The cushion looks fabulous. Love the blanket too. You've inspired me to re-bind the edges of some of mine, even though they're in good condition. Florals look so much nicer than the satin edge!

Ruby in the Dust said...

I'm glad you like the result; it felt so good to extend both of these items' lives!

Jason H said...

QSI being Quilt Scene Investigation?

Ruby in the Dust said...

Absolutely Jason! I'm always so curious about how things were put together, I like to think of it as the science of craft forensics :)

Kristy said...

What a great find and reuse. My local op shops have been cleared out of any remotely cute crafty items sadly - if I found this I'd be tempted to pas it off as my own work!