Thursday, May 16, 2013

Big days


May is always one of those months for us; a bit like November when you need to think of a million things at the same time to make sure you come through December in one piece. First Daniel turned 8, four days later Joshua turned 6, then Mother's Day, then me. I just turned 40 on Tuesday.  Funny how the 40 you remember your parents turning isn't anything like the 40 of today. This isn't middle age, for sure. I feel just the same as I did at 26, but to be honest I'm not so eager to please everyone any more. I am very happy with who I am and what I'm doing.  I have a wonderful family, friends and a community I'm part of. Life is good to us. 

I wanted to mark this place in my life, and chose the image of a bluebird for my arm.  It symbolises the happiness I feel and at the same time references the beautiful vintage embroidery I love so much. This design is a vintage embroidery transfer that I saw online and took to my talented friend Karla from the Genuine Hustle Tattoo Shop in Takapuna. She is a great artist and did a wonderful job with it.  Getting something this permanent done isn't for everyone, but to me it's a special reminder of a special time in my life. 



4 comments:

clare said...

I LOVE IT!!!!

Kristy said...

Happy birthday to you and your sons - May certainly is a busy month for you all! I think your tattoo is one of the prettiest I've ever seen, I'm sure it will still look good in another 40 years....

Karlientjie said...

Dit is definitief een van die heel mooiste tattoos wat ek nog gesien het. Ek is mal oor die kleure ook. Well done en welcome to the 40's club!!

Jesse said...

Happy birthday! That is one of the nicest tattoos I've ever seen. Using an embroidery pattern - genius!