Friday, May 17, 2013

Handmade 2013: an update


There's been a change to the programme at Handmade 2013 and I'm pleased to tell you about my new class: Applique and Print a T-shirt (scroll down the STITCH page to find it).  In this 2h workshop I'll show you how to decorate a t-shirt with fabric paint, thread and fabric.  We'll be using different techniques like stencilling, reverse applique, beading and embroidery.  When you do this type of applique on a knit fabric, you end up with a very strong, stretchy fabric that works perfectly for t-shirts. The feather shape above is one of the designs you could work with, but there will be more designs to choose from. 

While we will be working with knits, these techniques are also easily transferred to fabric like felt or wovens.  I made this day-glo example using felt after finding inspiration in some Golden Hands magazines from the 70's; can you tell?


Here is the class description; as you can see you only need to bring a few things along as I'll provide the freezer paper, embroidery thread, beads, buttons, fabric paint, brushes and extra fabric. I hope to see some of my lovely blog readers there :)



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your course sounds great, I've only just spotted your post about it. I'll see if I can book tomorrow :)