Monday, May 27, 2013

Illustrated

Before I get too busy getting ready for Handmade this weekend (!), I just want to show you what I've been up to the last couple of weeks. Background: when I got my new computer last year, I also got Adobe Illustrator and have been teaching myself new things as I need it.  I've really come to like the programme and use it a lot.  When I heard about a Skillshare course taught by the brilliant illustrator Brad Woodard, I just had to enroll. It's called 'Learn the Ins and Outs of Illustrator'  and for our project we had to copy a print ad.  The idea is of course to learn new techniques from great art, not to rip anybody off. I wish I knew who the illustrator behind this beautiful Anthology cover is, because I'd love to buy them a cup of coffee:


I chose this picture because I could see that I would learn how to do gradients, texture and work with shapes. I really enjoyed the process and the challenge of getting my lines to match the texture of those in the original, use fonts that have the same feel, generally do the right thing by the beautiful artwork. The biggest obstacle was the masthead font. I wasn't going to buy it just for this exercise, so to save myself $60 I traced it by mostly using the pen tool. If you're not familiar with digital illustration, believe me when I say it was quite painful. Worse than getting a tattoo, in fact. Anyway, here it is; my version of the most gorgeous Christmassy picture on the interweb.  If you're interested in the process, you can read more about how I went about it on my project page. While you're there, have a look at all the other amazing projects.

2 comments:

Josie Skipper said...

That is amazing Heleen - great job!

Vanessa said...

This is really impressive!! I just subscribed to Illustrator and am excited to learn as much as I can.