Thursday, September 26, 2013

On inspiration

It's been so long since I've last posted, Blogger asked me to sign in to prove that I'm actually me... I'm in now, so let me share with you something that really tickled us here in the Webb house. This weekend I came across a wonderful little video about an inspiring artist called Blair Summerville. He lives near Invercargill in the South Island of New Zealand and makes his art from found objects.  You really have to see it to believe it. I particularly liked what he said about inspiration:

It seems such a redundant question when you're alive to be asked that (where he gets his inspiration from), because there's so much going on everywhere, so much to react to... Life's inspiring, you've got this chance to do stuff, be creative and experiment.

Here's the video:


Lost & Found from Joey Bania on Vimeo.


After we watched it, Joshua wanted to make something. I got him to draw and explain his idea, and later Craig helped him to build it, and here it is: a frame with crank-handle, just like something Blair might have made as a boy. I find this creative spark that bounces off people so exciting; even more so when it's realised and you have something to hold, something that was just an impulse an hour ago.


No comments: